If you have some doubts about a traditional rule that an engagement ring should cost three months’ salary, it’s article is exactly for you.
The Gem that is Out of this World
If you need to see the light of a thousand moons just look at this gemstone. “Jandarakand” or “shine of the moon” is called in India. The old Indian legend says gods got the pieces of the stone as a precious gift from the Moon.
However, the moonstone is formed by the Earth. Its silver-blue color and mysterious lunar glow are built by the light that reflects off its inside layers and “floats” around the stone. This optical phenomenon is called the adularescence and also known as the Schiller effect (or just shiller).
The more colorless the body of the moonstone and the bluer the adularescence, the higher is its value. But this effect is not revealed until the stones are cut and polished. That’s why a moonstone is often cut en cabochon – with a rounded convex surface – that makes its mysterious allure more expressive and more valuable. On rare occasions, some transparent stones can be also faceted.
More about a moonstone
- Moonstone is a part of the mineral family of feldspars. This group makes up more than half of the Earth’s crust.
- Moonstone can be not only bluish-white, but also colorless or have many shades from pink, green, yellow to dark colors.
- Also, some moonstones can have internal inclusions like tiny tension cracks which are known as centipedes. They influence the price of the stone: the clearer the stone without centipedes, the more valuable it is.
- Moonstone is softer than diamond or ruby, but not as delicate as opal or pearl. It has to be fixed securely into the jewelry to avoid its damage.
- Nowadays, moonstone is found in many countries of the world including Sri Lanka, Madagascar, Brazil, Australia, and India so it is quite common on the market.
Piece of Art in past & modern times
Art Nouveau moonstone ring framed by floral motif and tiny white seed pearls.
The moonstone became especially popular in the early 1900s, during the so-called Art Nouveau period. This style of art which was expressed also in jewelry was inspired by flowing natural forms resembling leaves and blossoms of plants. For jewelry craftsmen of that period moonstone with its smooth shapes and mysterious shimmer was the essence of gemstone’s natural beauty.
Great artisans of the Art Nouveau, such as René Lalique and Louis Comfort Tiffany, featured moon-like gems in their handcrafted items. These Art Nouveau rings mesmerize with their depth and elaborated work. They are very catchy and exquisite at the same time.
On-trend in 2021
- The white-grey or shimmery pale coloration of these gemstones looks very classy and elegant.
- Moonstone jewelry is the perfect choice for small delicate accents in the outfit when due to the royal dress code bold garish hues have to be avoided.
- These milky gemstones can be perfectly combined with other impressive stones like diamonds or sapphires highlighting their royal splendor.
Affordable & Impressive
- background color (or bodycolor of the gem) should be nearly colorless and free of any yellowish, brownish tints or inclusions;
- body of the gem should have an intense bluish sheen (i.e. the blue adularescence);
- orientation of the sheen is also important: sheen should be centered on the top of a stone, and it should be easily seen from most viewing angles.
- if the cut is a cabochon, its dimensions have to be uniform, and the profile shouldn’t be too flat. Otherwise, it will not display sheen well and will be less valuable.
- Moonstone depending on its shade will look impeccably in every metal, from silver to gold to rose gold.
- Nowadays, it can be found in a range of cuts from traditional cabochon to a fashionable bold hexagon.
- Moonstone looks enchanting in multi-stone rings or in a cluster setting, as well.
- Moonstone in the ring has to be well protected for general everyday wear. Be sure that your moonstone’s setting is secure. One of the possible options is a rub-over setting in which the metal surrounds the gemstone completely.
A moonstone wedding ring will be an unbeatable option for anyone looking for exquisite and breathtaking jewelry for his special day. It can be customized according to your preference, just let us know your size and feel free to ask any questions you have.